Monday, December 12, 2011

JR Rail Pass

I%26#39;m having a hard time understanding the JR Rail Pass. I%26#39;ll be in Tokyo for 8 days the last week of this month. I%26#39;m trying to plan everything out and I keep reading that it%26#39;s best to by the rail pass.



I%26#39;m staying in Shinjuku, will be traveling around all the touristy parts of Tokyo and I%26#39;ll also be going to Kamakura and maybe Nikko.





Can someone please explain how the JR pass works, where and when I should purchase it?





Also, this will save me money in the long run, right?





And, what will it not work on? I%26#39;m having a hard time understanding the subway system there...is it seperate from the JR lines and therefore the pass is not for use on those lines? (for instance the line I need to take to get to Suidobashi stop that I need to get to for the Tokyo Dome).





Thanks!



JR Rail Pass


No.





If your trip is only tokyo and tokyo area, then a JR pass is not, I repeat not worth it.





It is only worth it if you plan long distance trips, to say Kyoto or Osaka and back.





On my site http://www.tokyosubway.info I try to explain the rail system in Tokyo is a fairly simple way for tourists.





For Tokyo you should be ok with various single fare tickets like Pasmo or Suica (refer to my site), or you can use day passes.





From Narita Airport to Tokyo you have various options:



http://www.tokyosubway.info/narita.html





Suica %26amp; NEX is the most popular option at the moment.





There are also special discount passes to Kamakura and Nikko.





Kamakura Free Kippu:



http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_004.html



Nikko Passes:



http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html





In the end DO NOT get the JR Pass only recommended for long distance trips.



JR Rail Pass


I want to emphasize that you won%26#39;t save money at all if your day trip plans do not go beyond Niiko and Kamakura from Tokyo.





Tokyosubway%26#39;s post has everything you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment