Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Toyoko Inns - hard beds and thin walls?

I have booked Toyoko Inns in Kanazawa and Matsumoto. Now I read comments here about hard beds and thin walls!





Perhaps I should change our bookings. I like to save money, but I have a bad back and I don%26#39;t want to hear the neighbours through the walls.





Could I have some honest opinions from people who%26#39;ve stayed at some Toyoko Inns. I%26#39;ve read a lot of the reviews here - mostly they%26#39;re pretty positive which is why I booked Toyoko Inn rooms.



Toyoko Inns - hard beds and thin walls?


Thin Walls: Most business hotels and even some better hotels in Japan might have this problem. However, Japanese people aren%26#39;t very loud by nature so at locations like Kanazawa and Matsumoto where there are less foreign tourists, I wouldn%26#39;t think this is much of an issue. For your reference, I have stayed at three Toyoko locations (Sapporo, Takasaki and Nagoya). The only location that I heard some noise in the morning was Sapporo which is usually filled with (loud) Asian tourists.





Hard beds: I felt the beds were ok but personally, I prefer harder beds than softer ones.





Generally speaking, the small size of the room is typically the biggest problem with Toyoko Inn. Two to a room, you and your partner will have to yield to each other when you are packing, getting up and going to bed. The only time I%26#39;ve had a large room at Toyoko was at Takasaki, which probably isn%26#39;t a very popular destination.





Toyoko has designed it in such a way that allows you to store you large suitcases under your bed. There is no closet so you just hang your clothes on the hooks that are nailed to the wall and I know this sometimes draws complaints as well.





You might want to give it a try--stay at one and then if you don%26#39;t like it, cancel your second reservation. You can also opt for Dormy Inn or Daiwa Roynet which is a step up.



Toyoko Inns - hard beds and thin walls?


Hi Sammy





I%26#39;ve reserved twin rooms for us at the Toyoko Inns as I know these are usually a bit roomier (at Comfort Hotels they%26#39;re a much better size than the double rooms - we%26#39;ve tried both).





I%26#39;m thinking of booking Dormy Inn in Kanazawa as an alternative but I%26#39;m having trouble reserving a room without pre-paying.It looks as if I might have to book it through Rakuten though as Dormy Inn don%26#39;t reply to my emails.





Our first experience of a Toyoko Inn(if we keep the reservation) will be Kanazawa Korinbo. If it%26#39;s not pleasant we%26#39;ll be stuck there for 2 nights, so I really want to be sure it%26#39;s going to be ok.




If you really want to experience modern Japan, you should stay at Toyoko Inn at least once! They have refined the design of business hotel rooms--every detail is perfect, and no space is wasted. The lobby is fancy, the breakfast is good, and you are surrounded by Japanese travelers.





I%26#39;ve stayed in two Toyoko Inns for a total of 15 nights, and had a noise problem only one night--a foreign visitor was talking loudly with his room door open across the hall. That could have happened anywhere. The rest of the time, it was completely quiet. So I don%26#39;t think they have a sound insulation problem. I would suggest that anyone keep the volume on the TV low in any hotel in Japan, just out of consideration.





The mattress was a little bit harder than I get in hotels in the USA, but I found it quite comfortable.




I wouldn%26#39;t worry about it.



Usually Japanese are considerate of others. And I haven%26#39;t had any problems in the business type hotels at many places which walls are made of concrete. Many ryokans have thin mud walls but still no problem.



Only problem sleeping I had was at a motel in Australia where a couple next door was doing you know what %26amp; I could hear everything.lol



Your bad back may get better on a little harder bed as we and others I know have had problems with softer beds.




The noise from ';doing you know what'; bit happened to me in Taiwan. I thought that was pretty funny :-)





I would have to agree that usually, people with bad backs usually should sleep on firmer beds. Of course, only you know what your body likes.




It would be interesting to know what people mean by ';hard'; beds. I have arthritis in most of my joints and like a ';firm'; mattress, but I like a soft top to it for cushioning.





So are Toyoko Inn mattresses just plain HARD, or are they firm with some cushioning on top?





We stayed in a hotel in New Zealand once where the walls were so thin that we could hear every word of next door%26#39;s conversation which went on quite late into the night.





So hard beds and thin walls could really wreck my sleep for me.




The Toyoko Inn mattress does not have a ';pillowtop.'; And, if I remember correctly, there may not have been a box spring underneath, just a platform. I would describe the effect as firm but not hard.





And I would describe the room as quiet.




When I visited my friend%26#39;s stay at TOYOKO Inn in Yokohama, I heard the noise that we don%26#39;t want to hear... It was a night.





Do you know ';Toyoko In Affair';? They had a problem. That time, the owner wasn%26#39;t good attitude on TV. If earthquake is occurred, I think that the chance to lost your life is greater than staying in other hotel, maybe...





…wikipedia.org/wiki/…8C





Use online translation to read Japanese web-page.



http://babelfish.yahoo.com/





TOKYU Hotel group is city hotels and not related to TOYOKO Inn. It is different company. Tokyu tells, ';don%26#39;t be confused, we are different company;'; on their web-page.





I stayed Dormy Inn in Kushiro, Hokkaido this month was OK. The room and bed were nice, but it was smell of smoking a bit.





There are several business hotels in Japan. (have English web-pages)





Super Hotel Group



http://www.superhotel.co.jp/en/index.html





Apa Hotel Group



http://www.apahotel.com/~language/en/index.html





Route Inn Hotels



http://www.apahotel.com/~language/en/index.html





Family Lodge chain, Hatagoya is growing every year.



http://www.hatagoya.co.jp/Kinugawa/index.html





I prefer much to stay a city hotel than a business hotel. Holiday Inn in Kanazwa and Holiday Inn Express in Nagano were good stay experiences I had. The bed sizes were small but weren%26#39;t much difference than I stayed in California.




I have stayed at a a few Toyoko Inns and never had a ';noise'; problem. As for beds being too hard, I never even noticed. When I go travelling I am usually so tired from all the walking that sleeping soundly is never a probem. Also, going to an onsen beforehand ensures solid sleep.





I%26#39;ve also stayed at a number of Comfort Inns as well and not had any problems there either. One Comfort Inn seemed to have even smaller rooms than Toyoko and was about 35% more for the same room. The only difference was a Western?Japanese breakfast vs a Japanese only one.


  • bridal makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment